Category: General health
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) define antibiotics as “medicines that fight infections caused by bacteria in humans and animals by either killing the bacteria or making it difficult for the bacteria to grow and multiply.”
The Rarely Discussed Side Effects of Antibiotics
You may be well aware of the wonders of antibiotics and likely have experienced their ability to deliver sickness a knockout, but do you know the less than glamorous side of antibiotics?
- Fact: “Your gut houses about 80% of the body’s immune cells,” which is a monstrous issue when “antibiotics damage your child’s gut bacteria [and] causes an imbalance called dysbiosis.”
- Fact: Common side effects of antibiotics include rash, nausea, diarrhea, and yeast infections.
Healthline released an article entitled 5 Frightening Consequences of Overusing Antibiotics where they spotlight the following:
- “Antibiotics Increase Fatal Diarrhea Cases in Children”
- “Antibiotics Can Upset Sensitive Gut Flora”
- “Antibiotics Help Teach Good Bacteria to Go Bad”
- “Antibiotics Are Increasing Cases of Untreatable Gonorrhea”
Prebiotics Move Into the Spotlight
This is not a conversation on whether or not the world needs antibiotics because the answer is a loud and resounding yes!