Indian researchers recently published an article in International Journal of Science and Research that recommended these 5 natural ways for dealing with sleep disorders.
1. Avoid drugs and medicine
Specifically, the researchers recommended avoiding nicotine and caffeine, as well as tranquilizers.These can interfere with our body’s natural sleep patterns.
2. Consume vitamin-rich foods
In particular, the researchers indicated that foods rich in vitamins A, B, C, and D were ideal for addressing sleep issues. Such foods include:
- Vitamin A: liver; sweet potato; carrots; green, leafy vegetables
- B vitamins: lean meat; beans; peas; whole grains
- Vitamin C: berries, peppers, kiwi, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, papaya, citrus fruits, pineapple
- Vitamin D: fatty fish, mushrooms
3. Consume mineral-rich foods
In addition to the vitamins mentioned above, the researchers suggested including in our diet foods rich in zinc, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorous:
- Zinc: lean meat, seafood, poultry, wheat, nuts, seeds
- Magnesium: spices, nuts, cereals, cocoa, vegetables
- Calcium: dairy, seaweed; nuts; seeds; green, leafy vegetables; beans
- Phosphorous: lean meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, beans
4. Avoid junk food
The researchers pointed out that processed food with little nutritional value and primarily simple carbohydrates (white flour, white sugar, etc). These foods destabilize blood sugar levels, throwing off energy levels and sleep patterns.
Increasing your activity levels (even if it’s just walking or running) can help our bodies relax and can reduce stress and anxiety levels, making it easier to sleep. Yoga can also help.
What are some tips you have used to overcome sleep disorders? Let us know in the comments below.
Did you like this post? Subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter to stay up to date on new posts.